Monday, December 22, 2008

I Love a Snowy Night (Borrowed from Eddie Rabbit!)

Yesterday was the winter solstice here in the northern hemisphere. I celebrate the winter solstice as "New Years" basically. It's the shortest day of the year and acts sort of like the "New Moon" of the YEAR. I worked on planning out some intentions for the next year, but mostly I just spent the day being thankful with my family.



It was only like 15 degrees all day yesterday. There was a new, glittery blanket of snow just deep enough to cover the tips of the grass and thanks to a minor ice storm that blew through a couple days before, all of the tiniest limbs and biggest branches where coated in ice and sparkled so brightly, with such light, it almost seemed they were glowing from within. The wind whipped the dry grainy snow up into little frozen vortexes of white iridescence that danced in a pirouette from one end of my yard to the other. Through it all, the sun shone brightly, illuminating this day of fresh beginning and reflecting it's magnificence off every speck of my frozen wonderland making it almost too spectacular to behold.


"What a wonderful first day of winter", I thought. "It's so breathtaking, it's almost as though someone planned it this way." And I chuckled to myself :)



Today it is 10 degrees. The wind is gone, but the beautiful tree limbs remain. It has snowed about 3 feet in the last 11 hours. It continues to flutter to the ground in BIG, fat, lazily circling flakes. Still the sun shines.
There's been a number of gorgeous, colorful winter birds taking samples of the suet cakes that hang outside the picture window in my dining room. My warrior kitty, Patch, keeps launching herself into the window to catch the feathered visitors, but never succeeds at doing more than startling them into flight. I continue to giggle at her asking yet again, "Didja Getem?!?!" She just meows at me and resumes her place at my left foot. What a perfect start.



Winter is my favorite season, in case ya couldn't tell. LOL I always feel so overwhelmingly happy during the winter solstice. I think it's the new beginning... the fresh start. I looked back at the intentions I had for last year and BOY did I accomplish a LOT! The only things I didn't accomplish are things I'd lost focus on when my desires shifted to make room for new ideas. This year should be totally WILD! I'm REALLY looking forward to all the wonderful things that are headed my way!!


Visit my homepage!

0 comments:

 

This Blog Has Moved!!!

Please visit & bookmark my new blog at:
The Smiling Spirit
Memoirs of a Domestic Goddess Finding Joy in Life!!

 

 

FREE Ebook


Click here to get your copy of this FREE Ebook!

Search